Welcome!

Here you will find my most recent work. Feel free to look around. All rights are reserved for any and all images posted.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What's in MY Henna?

I already talked about what goes in a basic henna paste so I might as well share mine.  Here's my newly developed recipe.  I'm quite proud of it.  Nifty for me since I never seem to have lemons or prepared lemon juice, nor do I enjoy the extra hassle of buying/keeping it.

Instead, I boil chunks of pineapple, which I always have frozen for the best smoothies in the world made by moi.  That I simmer for 20 minutes, adding and dissolving sugar in a 1:3 ratio to the water.  The pineapple sufficiently passes on its acidic properties and also adds a little extra fructose to the syrup. Paste has been deliciously crack-resistant thus far.

yes, I did say best smoothies in the world.
photo credit: Beth

Leave it till dye release in a warm corner covered in saran wrap.  About four hours before I package it up for use, I add tea tree oil as my terp of choice.  About 1 to 11/2 teaspoons for 100g of powder has been suggested, but I always adjust since I rarely make that much.  I'd like to play with cajeput and frankincense a bit sometime.  I always default to tea tree even though it smells funny because I always think of it as an antiseptic and its healing properties.  I used to add lavender because my sister likes it, but honestly I'm not a fan.

So that's all that goes into my paste.  All random kitchen ingredients (well, in my home tea tree oil was a common household material). All natural.  Always fresh :)

The only other component that may be a part of my henna would be a sealant.  A lemon sugar combination is very common and works really well, but I always get annoyed with the stickyness.  Instead, I'll use a watered down white glue.  Just water and elmer's glue.  Completely safe, non-toxic, and washes off in case you've changed your mind.  When it comes time to remove the paste, it also makes it much easier to peel off the remaining - all in one! ALL in ONE!  Adding glitter makes it even purtier.

Now that's really it.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment